Main content

Zippy Blues too good

CFC TV: Match Highlights - R10 Watch a game wrap-up of the Round 10 win over GWS.

Carlton warmed up for an AFL season-defining month with a commanding 94-point victory over Greater Western Sydney at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

The Giants were at least competitive in much of the first, second and fourth quarters, but cannon fodder in the third, as the Blues won 22.16 (148) to 8.6 (54) to improve their win-loss record to 6-4.

Once again, it was the Blues' speedy flotilla of small forwards who did most of the damage, with Jeff Garlett, (four), Chris Yarran (three), Dennis Armfield (two) and second-gamer Troy Menzel (two) combining for half of their side's tally of 22 goals.

At the other end, Andrew Walker and Michael Jamison anchored a rock-solid Blues defence, while Matthew Kreuzer relished the opportunity to ruck all day in the absence of the injured Robbie Warnock.

GWS were best served by co-captain Callan Ward and fellow on-baller Toby Greene.

The Giants kicked six of their eight goals in the opening half to trail by 40 points at the long break.

Carlton blew their opponents away with six goals to nil in the third term before extending the final margin to 94 points with a goal from Kreuzer in the dying minutes.

With former Port Adelaide premiership ruckman Dean Brogan (back) a late withdrawal, the Giants featured an even more inexperienced lineup than usual, averaging just 28 games per player.

Carlton had an even more important late absentee, with dual Brownlow medallist Chris Judd pulling out with a sore hamstring.

It all gets much harder in a hurry for the Blues, who face a month of tough games against Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney and Collingwood either side of the bye.

The winless Giants tackle a virtual mission impossible at home against Geelong next week.

CARLTON                                            6.4   12.6   18.12   22.16 (148)      

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY          3.0   6.2       6.5       8.6 (54)


Carlton: Garlett 4, Waite 3, Yarran 3, Armfield 2, Menzel 2, Henderson 2, Gibbs, Curnow, Casboult, Kreuzer

Greater Western Sydney: Cameron 2, Coniglio 2, Hampton, Whitfield, Palmer, Ward


Carlton: Walker, Garlett, Yarran, Kreuzer, Gibbs, Armfield

Greater Western Sydney: Ward, Whitfield, Adams, Greene


Carlton: Chris Judd (hamstring) replaced in the selected side by Troy Menzel

Greater Western Sydney: O'hAilpin (knee)


Carlton: Michael Jamison replaced by Tom Bell at three-quarter time

Greater Western Sydney: Setanta O'hAilpin replaced by Jacob Townsend at half time 

Reports: Nil

Umpires: McBurney, Burgess, Pannell

Official crowd: 25,008 at Etihad Stadium