Carlton Football Club is delighted to announce young gun Jacob Weitering has agreed to a new four-year contract extension.
Revealed at the John Nicholls Medal at Crown Palladium this evening, Weitering will remain at the Blues until at least the end of 2021.
The 2015 No.1 draft pick said he was keen to repay the faith the Club had shown as the side builds towards future success.
“The Carlton Football Club gave me the chance to pursue my dream of playing AFL and I’m looking forward to repaying the faith they’ve shown me,” Weitering said.
“It has been a thoroughly enjoyable first year of football and having that initial taste of senior footy just makes me more hungry to go out there and give it my all for my teammates and this club.
“It’s an exciting time for the Blues and I really believe in what we are building at the Club under Brendon Bolton, the broader coaching panel and my teammates. I am very thankful to the Club for this opportunity.”
Head of Football Andrew McKay said Weitering had shown poise and professionalism both on and off the field in his first year.
“Jacob has settled in brilliantly at the Club since he arrived late last year and has shown maturity beyond his years,” McKay said.
“He is a committed and professional young footballer, and very hungry to learn and develop – he’s a fierce competitor and with the younger crop of players coming through, will play a key role in the side.
“There is still plenty of progress to be made with his development, but we’re thrilled that Jacob will be a long-term player for the Carlton Football Club.”
Weitering played 20 games in his debut year, averaging 15 disposals, five marks and 81 per cent disposal efficiency. The Dandenong Stingrays product finished third overall at the NAB AFL Rising Star event on Tuesday.
Weitering joins Kade Simpson, Jack Silvagni and Levi Casboult as the latest players to re-commit to the Blues this week.